- Antibiotic Use in Companion Animal Veterinary Practice
- Fact sheet describing antibiotic use within companion animals for veterinary staff.
- Antibiotics and Your Pets: What You Should Know
- Fact sheet describing antibiotic use within companion animals for pet owners.
- CDC: Antibiotic Resistance in Pets and People
- Fact sheet describing antibiotic resistance in companion animals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
- Coming in Spring 2020! Antibiotic Use In Horses: Changing Expectations
- Fact sheet describing equine antibiotic use.
- The Truth About: Meat and Antibiotics
- Fact sheet describing how antibiotics are used in animal medicine and how meat sold in stores is safe to eat.
- The Truth About: Milk and Antibiotics
- Fact sheet describing how antibiotics are used in animal medicine and how milk sold in stores is safe to drink.
- Antibiotics and the Environment: What You Should Know
- Fact sheet describing how antibiotics end up in our environment and how we should properly dispose of unused medications from both people and animals.
- Antibiotic Use and Antibiotic Resistance: Answers for Patients
- Fact sheet describing antibiotic resistance and antibiotic use in human healthcare.
- Antibiotic Resistance: A Public Health Threat
- Fact sheet describing antibiotic resistance and its relevance across One Health.
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Antimicrobial Use and Resistance
- Answers to frequently asked questions about antimicrobial use and resistance.
- Minnesota One Health Antibiotic Stewardship Collaborative
- Minnesota One Health Antibiotic Stewardship Collaborative provides a collaborative environment to promote judicious antibiotic use and stewardship and to reduce the impact of antibiotic-resistant pathogens of human, animal, and environmental health importance.
- Antimicrobial Resistance Learning Site
- These open-source teaching modules are designed for integration into existing veterinary school courses regarding pharmacology, microbiology, One Health, and species-specific medicine. Continuing education credit is available for most modules.
- Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP) Antimicrobial Stewardship Project (ASP) provides information and resources on antimicrobial stewardship.
- CDC Urgent Threats Report
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States 2019 includes the latest national death and infection estimates that underscore the continued threat of antibiotic resistance in the U.S.
- Antibiotics Only When Needed (O.W.N.)
- Health professionals and partner organizations have an important role to play in combating antibiotic resistance. Include O.W.N. graphics on your website, resources, social media messages, and more.
Guidance for the Veterinary Profession
- AVMA: Antimicrobial Stewardship Definition and Core Principles
- The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) published core elements to advance antimicrobial stewardship in veterinary settings.
- FDA: Supporting Antimicrobial Stewardship in Veterinary Settings
- Five-year strategic plan for the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for combating antimicrobial resistance in the veterinary setting.
Antimicrobial Use in Veterinary Medicine
- SAVSNET: Peer Reviewed and Scientific Publications
- Articles that demonstrate how animal surveillance data can be used to improve antimicrobial use, describe disease patterns, and more from the Small Animal Veterinary Surveillance Network (SAVSNET) at the University of Liverpool.
- University of Minnesota: Point Prevalence Survey of Antibiotic Use in a Veterinary Teaching Hospital
- Data presented at the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine 2019 conference describing antibiotic use at a small animal teaching hospital and identifying areas for antibiotic stewardship intervention.
Featured publications on antimicrobial resistance, stewardship, and use
- University of Liverpool highlights new initiative within College of Veterinary Medicine.
- ARSI co-directors, Drs. Jennifer Granick and Amanda Beaudoin, and epidemiologist, Emma Leof, are working with the University of Liverpool to establish the Companion Animal Veterinary Surveillance Network (CAVSNET).
- CAVSNET is modeled after, and in partnership with, the Small Animal Veterinary Surveillance Network (SAVSNET), based at the University of Liverpool.
- Emma spent two weeks in January 2020 with the SAVSNET team learning first-hand how SAVSNET is managed and used for veterinary research.
- Read the article on the SAVSNET website.
- ARSI co-director interviewed on ways to improve canine health
- Dr. Jennifer Granick, co-director of the Antimicrobial Resistance and Stewardship Initiative, describes ways to help your dog stay healthy and happy.
- Tips include preventative care and vaccinations, scheduling routine veterinary visits, making diet decisions with your veterinarian, and respecting your dog's microbiome.
- Read the full article at This Dog's Life.
- Poultry report indicates significant shift in antibiotic use
- A national report found significant reductions in the use of most medically important antibiotics in broiler chicken and turkey production.
- Key findings in the report include:
- The percentage of broiler chicks that received hatchery antibiotics declined from 93% in 2013 to just 17% in 2017. Meanwhile, turkey poults that received hatchery antibiotics declined from 96% in 2013 to 41% in 2017.
- Tetracycline use in the feed of broiler chickens dropped by 95% from 2013 to 2017, and decreased by 67% over the same period in turkeys.
- The use of ceftiofur, a third-generation cephalosporin, dropped to zero in turkey poults in 2017.
- Download the full report at Mindwalk Consulting Group.
If you would like your publication featured, contact the Antimicrobial Resistance and Stewardship Initiative team at email@example.com.